District heat production in Finland
|Moderator:Virpi Kollanus (see all)|
|This page is a stub. You may improve it into a full page.|
How is district heat produced in Finland currently and in the future? More specifically:
- How much district heat is produced in combined heat and power (CHP) plants versus plants which only produce heat?
- What is the capacity range of district heat production plants?
- What fuels are used in district heat production?
- District heat production statistics for Finland from 2004 onwards.
- District heat statistics for 2010:
|Plant type:||Combined heat and power||Separate heat production|
|Oil||291||1 %||2339||24 %|
|Coal||7422||25 %||675||7 %|
|Natural gas||9080||31 %||2789||29 %|
|Other fossil fuel||209||1 %||248||3 %|
|Peat||6334||22 %||1155||12 %|
|Black liquor and other concentrated liquors||233||1 %||0||0 %|
|Other wood fuels||5097||17 %||1457||15 %|
|Other renewables||334||1 %||200||2 %|
|Other energy sources||208||1 %||887||9 %|
|Total||29208||100 %||9750||100 %|
- In addition to hard coal, coal includes blast furnace gas and coke oven gas and coke.
- Mixed fuels (such as recycled fuel) are divided into renewable and fossil fuels in ratio to the fossil and biodegradable coal contained in them. Other fossil fuels include plastics fuels and other waste fuels and the fossil part of mixed fuels. Other renewable fuels comprise the bio part of mixed fuels and biogas.
- Other energy sources include hydrogen, electricity, and reaction and secondary heat of industry.
- Combined heat and power production includes pure combined production.
- Reduction heat produced in connection with condensate production and combined heat and power production were calculated in separate production of heat.
- District heat plants and capacities in 2010:
- There were 94 heat and power cogeneration plants that produced district heat. The total heat capacity of these was 7210 MW. Of the 94 plants, 10 were industrial plants (total capacity 350 MW).
- There were 666 stationary distric heat plants (separate heat production), the total heat capacity of which was 13070 MW.
- In addition, there were 392 portable district heat plants (separate heat production), the total capacity of which was 1400 MW.
Vehviläinen et al. 2007:
- Electricity production capacity classes of combined heat and power plants (% of all CHP plants). Estimated development from 2005 to 2050 based on a questionnaire sent to all Finnish district heat producers (answer percentage: 75% of all district heat producers, 85% of all CHP producers). Numbers estimated from the graph 4.14.
Finnish government: Long-term Climate and Energy Strategy 2008:
- Fuel consumption in combined district heat and power production in the baseline scenario (i.e. compliance with measures and development in place before the 2008 government climate and energy strategy). Estimated development from 2006 to 2050:
|Oil||2.7||5 %||3.8||6 %||5.5||9 %||3.8||6 %||1.4||2 %|
|Coal||14.8||26 %||12.8||21 %||12.7||20 %||12.5||20 %||12.7||19 %|
|Natural gas||18.8||34 %||21.3||36 %||22||35 %||21.6||34 %||22.3||34 %|
|Peat||10.3||18 %||9.5||16 %||9.8||16 %||9.8||16 %||10.2||16 %|
|Industrial wood residues||4.1||7 %||4.6||8 %||3.9||6 %||3.8||6 %||3.9||6 %|
|Forest wood chip||3.2||6 %||4.7||8 %||5.3||8 %||8.5||13 %||11.6||18 %|
|Other bio/recycle||2.2||4 %||3.1||5 %||3.2||5 %||3.2||5 %||3.3||5 %|
- In the baseline scenario, the total use of forest wood chip in energy production (primary energy) increases from 7.2 TWh in 2006 to 18 TWh in 2020. Of this 18 TWh in 2020, 11.5 TWh (64%) is used in industrial heat and electricity production and 5.3 TWh (30%) in CHP-production for community use.
- In the target scenario (i.e. measures outlined in the 2008 climate and energy strategy are in place), the total use of forest wood chip in energy production (primary energy) increases from 7.2 TWh in 2006 to 21 TWh in 2020.
energy production, district heat, Finland
- Statistics Finland: Electricity and heat production in Finland
- Energiateollisuus, kaukolämpötilastot
- Finnish Energy Industries 2010. District heating in Finland 2010. ISSN 0786-4809.
- Vehviläinen, I., Hiltunen, J. & Vanhanen, J. 2007. Lämmön ja sähkön yhteistuotannon potentiaali sekä kaukolämmityksen ja -jäähdytyksen tulevaisuus Suomessa. Selvitys Energiateollisuus ry:lle. Gaia Group Oy 24.8.2007.
- Pitkän aikavälin ilmasto- ja energiastrategia. Valtioneuvoston selonteko eduskunnalle 6. päivänä marraskuuta 2008.