Climate change policies in Rotterdam
This page is a encyclopedia article.
The page identifier is Op_en5523
|Moderator:heta (see all)|
What are plausible policies to the city of Rotterdam to mitigate and adapt to climate change?
AnswerYou have error(s) in your data:
Number of indices and result cells does not match
=Rotterdam Climate Initiative
The Rotterdam Climate Initiative aims to realize 50% reduction of CO2 missions by 2025 and to make the city 100% climate proof in the same year. These key objectives are concentrated in two programmes.
50 % reduction of CO2 emissions
Rottercam will reduce the emissions of CO2 by targeting the following cornerstones:
- Rotterdam - sustainable city: by 2025, the emissions of CO2 of all homes and buildings in the city should be reduced by at least 50 %. We can achieve this by saving energy and applying sustainable energy, including the heating of 50 000 homes by means of residual heat from refuse incinerators.
- Rotterdam - energy port: over 85 % of CO2 emissions in Rotterdam is attributable to industry. For this reason, we aim to realize an energy efficient port and industry cluster of exceptional international stature. Rotterdam should become the energy port of low-CO2 energy sources and products. Collaboration with logistics and industry is indespensable in this respect.
- Rotterdam - sustainable traffic and transport: cleaner fuels and alternative vehicles will result by road as well as by water. The City of Rotterdam serves as an example in this respect where its investment policy is concerned. The Mayor and Alderman, for instance, have already switched to flexifuel official cars.
- Rotterdam - Energizing City: a clean and sustainable city of Rotterdam can only be achieved if we tackle this goal together with citizens, companies and organizations. This is why we have environmental education programmes in schools, an energy conservation programme for companies, and publicity campaigns to persuade citizens to adopt new ways of responding to the climate change issue.
- Rotterdam - Innovation Lab: Rotterdam welcomes innovative initiatives and supports their implementation, so that we can take up a leading position in energy knowledge and developments.
100 % climate proof
By means of climate adaption programme "Rotterdam Climate Proof", the Rotterdam Climate Initiative endeavours to make the city climate proof. This takes place through the following key aims:
- flood safety: the Rotterdam delta is safe and should remain safe, regardless or changing climate conditions. Together with our partners we will therefore ensure, for instance, that all water defences will be sufficiently strong by 2050.
- accessibility:this is important to attract new business to the reagion as well as for freight transport and passenger transport. If water is assigned a more significant role in spatial planning (for instance through floating homes and officies), transport should respond to this development. Our aim is to realize a climate change resilient transport infrastructure for both the city and the port.
- Adaptive building: in the Rotterdam region, we have a lot of knowledge on climate proof building. By 2025, the existing areas outside the levees (including the waterfront and port area) will be flood-proof, and new construction will be restricted to adaptive building. Part of the area called "Stadshavengebied" will consists of floating districts.
- Urban water system: climate change can lead to extreme precipitation in short period of time. To avoid situations where heavy rainfalls cause the peak surface drainage system, the excess rainwater needs to be retained in reservoirs (water storage). In times of drought, on the other hand, it is important to safeguard the freshwater supply.
- City climate: the physical climate in the city is pivotal in people's assessment of shaded and cool public areas and climate proof parks and green spaces such as green roofs.
- Kerr. Science 2012 (password-protected)
The climate change, Politics, Rotterdam, Urgenche