R learning group in THL
This page is a encyclopedia article.
The page identifier is Op_en7758
|Moderator:Jouni (see all)|
|This page is a stub. You may improve it into a full page.|
R learning group in THL is a self-organised group of researchers who need and want to learn R software. Most people work at the Department of Health protections in THL in Kuopio, Finland.
Topics of interest
These are topics of interest for some or most participants (in no particular order).
- Next generation sequencing (NGS): how to manage the data, make analyses, and visualise results? Some ideas for solutions:
- Vegan package (developed in Oulu) for diversity studies
- Diversity index page in Opasnet for calculating alpha and beta diversity with different q values.
- Chime, SAS: What are the functionalities, and what are respective solutions in R?
- Exposure assessment and big data: how to manage exposure data (e.g. PM2.5 concentration fields) with millions of rows?
- There are packages for huge array calculations. Five ways to handle big data in r
- UEF Bioinformatics use R to handle big data, and they have developed packages for that. We should find out about this.
- Health impact assessment is needed for environmental exposures: how to combine different data sources and make assessments coherent?
- General additive models GAM: how to perform these?
- We use instant communcation in Slack
- We document our projects and R code on relevant Opasnet pages.
- We gather together more or less regurlarly. These are the topics for meetings:
- 2.11.2016 10-11 (Kielo): get together and how to organise
- 16.11.2016 8.30-10 (Kielo): basics of R (objects and how to use them; typical procedures). Speaker: Jouni
- Self-reported exposure to chemicals in sarcoma patients: KTL Sarcoma study#Self-reported chemical exposure
- Ilmastonmuutospäätöksentekoon liittyvien keskustelujen ja politiikkojen jäsennystä: op_fi:Keskipitkän aikavälin ilmastopoliittinen suunnitelma op_fi:Energiarenessanssi
- Benefits and risks of Baltic herring Benefit-risk assessment of Baltic herring and salmon intake
- Add your own activities
- Create new pages in Opasnet as necessary