EU population totals: 100 metre grid
- The text on this page is taken from an equivalent page of the IEHIAS-project.
The Joint Research Centre (JRC) has produced a raster dataset representing the 1km2 population density for the year 2001 on a 100m grid for Europe. Population by commune was disaggregated with Corine land cover 2000 using a downscaling method described in Gallego (2010).
The main characteristics of the grid are as follows:
- Geographic coverage: EU27 + Croatia. Some islands and overseas territories missing.
- Resolution: 100m (1 ha pixels)
- Values correspond to total population density in inhabitants/km2. To obtain the estimated population in a polygon, divide the sum of pixel values by 100.
- Projection: Lambert-Azimuthal equal area (INSPIRE-recommended)
This dataset has been enhanced through further spatial modelling to incorporate age/sex stratification. The resulting high resolution age/sex population grids are available here.
Source / Reference: Gallego F.J., 2010, A population density grid of the European Union, Population and Environment. 31: 460-473.
Link: This dataset can be downloaded from the European Environment Agency website.