EU population: Eurostat
- The text on this page is taken from an equivalent page of the IEHIAS-project.
Population data in Europe are provided mainly as enumerations of resident population by census tract. These data are aggregated to larger, standardised administrative units for reporting in the EU often at NUTS 3 (i.e. equivalent to departments and counties in France and UK, respectively) or larger NUTS 2 regions. Information about European administrative regions is available here.
Eurostat and its service providers act as the main agent for data collation and delivery.National and regional demographic data are available via the Eurostat database.
Example tables include:
- Population density - NUTS level 3 [demo_r_d3dens]
- Population by sex and age groups on 1 January - NUTS level 3 regions [demo_r_pjanaggr3 table]
- Population at 1 January by sex and age from 1990 onwards - NUTS level 2 [demo_r_d2jan]
- Population on 1 January by five years age groups and sex - National [demo_pjangroup]
- Population on 1 January: Structure indicators - National [demo_pjanind]